2016 is set to be another big year for the ever-changing digital landscape – with more channels changing or becoming a vital part of the marketing mix. Just last week, for example, Facebook announced an interesting move towards expanding its Messenger platform to businesses, despite the fact it has been quelling organic business reach in the news feed for some time now.
With that said, here are the main digital marketing trends to focus on over the next 12 months:
The number of users accessing the internet via mobile devices continued to rise above desktop in 2015 - and to highlight just how much these stats are predicted to rise year on year, in April Google implemented ‘mobilegeddon’ an algorithm update that favours mobile friendly and responsive websites.
For 2016 mobile will be a key focus within the digital marketing arena, where a lot can be learnt about user behaviour from Google’s ‘micro-moments’: the identification of the complex consumer journey for mobile devices.
- You can increase unaided brand awareness by 46% simply by showing up in mobile search results
- 51% of Smartphone users have discovered a new brand, product or service when searching via their mobile
- 30% of all online shopping purchases now happen on mobile phones
Content will still rein as King
In 2016 content will still rein as King and brands will and should continue to develop effective content marketing strategies that really engage their target audiences.
A key focus for 2016 should be to ensure all created content is fully optimised with relevant keywords, whilst appealing directly to targeted web users. Ultimately your content may read brilliantly, but if it fails to engage and attract web visitors it is of no real value.
- Posting content with an image on social media is likely to increase engagement. A study found that tweets with images received 150% more retweets than those without.
- Only 28% of content sharing happens through social media – the remaining 72% happens via email and other private communication methods.
- According to a study, content shared on Thursdays has the longest link lifespan
Data is there for the taking
Marketers now have access to more personal data than ever before. If you haven’t sat down and really analysed this, 2016 is definitely the year to do it. Understand exactly where your main target audience is located, their gender, their age range and how they engage with your product or service - and then use this to create a marketing strategy that really appeals to your stakeholders, whilst driving results.
- Social media insights can support your overarching social strategy, highlighting exactly what type of content, posted at which times, drives the best results
- The amount of data stored online is set to be 44 times larger in 2020 than in 2009
- Without the use of online data, marketers would struggle to create a full picture of who their target audience is, and what makes them tick.
Video goes viral
Dubbed as the future of content marketing by many, video provides an engaging, informative and shareable platform to promote your brand, message or content in an easy-to-digest format. Its growing popularity has even been felt by social media channels like Facebook, which reported earlier in the year twice as many users now watch videos via the platform.
Video will continue to grow in popularity for 2016 and should be a focal point of all digital marketing campaigns. If created with some innovation and pushed across all relevant channels (based on analytical data of course!), you will be guaranteed great results.
- YouTube receives one billion unique visitors each and every month
- 64% of Smartphone users prefer to watch a YouTube video as opposed to undertaking research or read a product manual.
- By 2017 it is predicted that video will account for 69% of consumer internet traffic
By Mark Wright, Director of Climb Online.
Sources for STATS
GDPR Summit Series is a global series of GDPR events which will help marketers to prepare to meet the requirements of the GDPR ahead of May 2018 and beyond. Further information and conference details are available at http://www.gdprsummit.london/
comments powered by Disqus