The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into effect across Europe in May 2018 and will apply to the UK despite Brexit. As this is a ‘regulation’ rather than a ‘directive’ it is binding and effectively forms part of UK law as soon as it comes into force.
GDPR will apply to every organisation in the EU and any organisation holding data that belongs to an EU citizen.
If you are involved in any aspect of digital marketing this regulation will affect you!
In particular, GDPR will impact marketing in the following ways:
- All aspects of data collection and CRM
- Email marketing - Check permissions and data sources
- Customer data – understand ‘the right to be forgotten’
- Cookies and personal data
- Permissions and the need for ‘explicit consent’
- Chat tools that capture user ID’s
- Monitoring of individuals (for example, online behaviour tracking)
- All data breaches must be reported
- It’s not enough just to be compliant - You must also be able to demonstrate compliance!
What should you do now?
- Familiarise yourself with GDPR requirements
- Find out if you need to appoint a DPO
- Review data processing activities and identify gaps in compliance
- Understand the data you hold and where it resides
- Review contracts, privacy notices and consent forms
- Put in place an appropriate governance framework
The GDPR is the biggest change in data protection ever to occur in the UK and will require major changes in the way both large and small companies work.
GDPR Conference Europe is running a series of events with expert speakers providing information, insight and advice to help organisations understand their obligations and the opportunities.
The first event has already sold out and there are limited places left at the next event.
Click here to find out more.
Ignoring the regulation until it's too late could be a costly mistake – fines imposed can be 4% of turnover or €20million.
By Jacob Ludlow, marketing & partnerships manager at Amplified Business Content
Visit our website to see events that will help you keep up to speed on; Data protection, cyber security, digital marketing and business growth. View upcoming events here!
comments powered by Disqus