As many as one in five commercial emails worldwide fails to reach its intended target, according to the 2017 Deliverability Benchmark Report from data solutions provider Return Path.

This new research reveals that just 80% of email is delivered to the inbox, while the remainder – a full 20% – is diverted to spam folders or gets blocked altogether.

The report’s findings are relatively consistent with the company’s 2016 and 2015 benchmarks, which reported a 79% global inbox placement rate. While this rate has improved slightly in the past year, the significant percentage of filtered messages means that marketers are still missing out on a valuable opportunity to drive meaningful revenue from the email channel.

Return Path president, George Bilbrey, said: “Email remains the most popular and effective channel available to marketers, so it’s more important than ever to get it right. If your emails aren’t reaching the inbox, you’re missing out on an opportunity to build relationships and generate ROI.

“But email filtering continues to evolve, as mailbox providers apply increasingly sophisticated algorithms to deliver only the content their users truly want.”

Email marketers in the US saw the lowest inbox placement of any country analysed, with just 77% of messages reaching subscribers – up from 73% in 2016. Meanwhile, Canadian marketers achieved one of the highest inbox placement rates in this study, with an average of 90%.

Marketers in European countries generally perform above global average, with scores of 82% in France and Spain and 84% in the UK. Of the European countries studied, only Germany fell slightly below the global average with 79% inbox placement.

To view the full report, click here.


By Jonathan Davies, editor, Digital Marketing Magazine

PrivSec Conferences will bring together leading speakers and experts from privacy and security to deliver compelling content via solo presentations, panel discussions, debates, roundtables and workshops.
For more information on upcoming events, visit the website.

comments powered by Disqus